The impact cycle illustrates how each individual element is related to one another.
The impact cycle starts on the left and is read counter-clockwise.
- The societal challenges (top left in figure) and the needs of the target group derived from them are used to define the project objectives and a project approach. Of course, this process also takes account of the organization’s vision.
- In order to be able to achieve the project objectives, certain inputs must be available.
- From these inputs outputs are generated.
- If the outputs are used by the target group, outcomes are near at hand.
- In the next step, the outcomes can contribute to an impact.
- These newly changed societal conditions give rise to new needs and new objectives.
In short: The cycle starts again and again and is an ongoing task ...